The Early Childhood Education program provides an educational and practical foundation for students interested in working with children from infancy through third grade. In addition to theoretical principles, the curriculum offers practical skills and on-site training that will prepare students for employment in the field of Early Childhood Education. The program leads to certificates in Early Childhood Education and/or an Associate of Science Degree. The EAR courses will also fulfill the required child development coursework for the state issued Child Development permit. Information regarding this permit and/or the Early Childhood Education certificates are available from the Early Childhood Education Department.


Moreno Valley College offers Associate Degree for Transfer (ADT) in Early Childhood Education and other certificates.

Download our brochure pdf

What can I do with my CD/ECE Certificate or Degree?

Some of the positions held by early childhood professionals are:

  • Preschool classroom aide, teacher, site supervisor, center director
  • Family child care provider, before and after school caregiver
  • Curriculum director/early education services coordinator
  • Parent educator/resource and referral professional
  • Mentor teacher-director/professional growth advisor
  • Social service worker/foster care provider
  • Camp counselor or recreation program leader
  • Mental health or special education paraprofessional
  • Child and family advocate, public policy assistant



Moreno Valley College offers students courses that will facilitate the completion of the following certificates and degrees. 


Associate Degrees

  • Early Childhood Education
  • Early Childhood Intervention Assistant

For students interested in transferring to a California State University, please see the requirements for the Associate in Science in Early Childhood Education for Transfer degree in Section IV of the MVC Catalog

Students can also work towards earning different levels of the California Child Development Permit, which is required by many employers in the State. Students are strongly encouraged to meet with the lead faculty in ECE and a guidance counselor at their home college to identify a course of studies in ECE and to develop a Student Education Plan (SEP).


Contact Us

Early Childhood Education (951) 571-6214
Melissa Thompson (951) 571-6277
Counseling: (951) 571-6104