Career & Technical Education (CTE) Programs

Moreno Valley College offers Associate of Science Degrees and Certificate Programs with an occupational emphasis. Both provide instruction in skills and knowledge needed to enter a skilled or professional occupation. Associate of Science Degree programs require completion of at least 60 units of credit, which normally takes four semesters. Certificate programs, leading to an associate in science degree, require a minimum of 18 units, but vary in number of units required; most can be completed in two semesters. Certificates can lead to employment. Each course required for a certificate must be completed with a "C" grade or better. All certificate courses can be counted toward the degree as well as the major.

Need for Specialized Training

Many find it difficult to secure employment or to advance in current positions and better-paying jobs without specialized training. General education coursework has its value, but in the early stages of a career it is specific, technical skills employers seek. A certificate is the best evidence specialized training has been secured. At times employers actually require certificates as a condition of employment or reclassification for higher pay.

Who Can Enroll in the Career and Technical Education Programs?

Individuals wishing to enroll at Moreno Valley College must file an official application. Admission to Moreno Valley College is regulated by state law as prescribed in the California Education Code.

Certificate Course Requirements

Students should plan to enroll in the specific courses listed under the certificate desired. If a required course for a certificate program is no longer offered, please see the department chair to ascertain an acceptable course substitute. Fifty percent of the coursework required for any certificate pattern must be completed at Riverside Community College District.

Contact CTE

Melody Graveen, Ed.D., Dean of Instruction, Career & Technical Education
Sharlena Segura, Administrative Assistant (interim)
Location: PSC-15
Phone Number: (951) 571-6292

This project was funded fully or in part by Carl D. Perkins CTE Act of 2006 grant no. 15-C01-045 awarded to Riverside Community College District (RCCD) and administered by the California Community Colleges Chancellor’s Office. RCCD complies with all federal and state rules and regulations. RCCD does not discriminate, and harassment of any employee or student is strictly prohibited, on the basis of ethnic group identification, national origin, religion, age, gender, gender identity, gender expression, race or ethnicity, color, ancestry, genetic information, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, pregnancy, military or veteran status, or any characteristic listed or defined in Section 11135 of the Government Code or contained in the prohibition of hate crimes of Section 422.6 of the California Penal Code, or any other status protected by law. This holds true for all students interested in participating in any educational and/or extracurricular program. Limited English speaking skills will not be a barrier to admission or participation in any programs. For alternate formats of this material for individuals requiring disability accommodation, contact (hosting department and phone). For inquiries regarding compliance or grievance procedures, contact the District’s Title IX Officer/Section 504/ADA Coordinator, 450 E. Alessandro Blvd., Riverside, CA 92508, (951) 222-8039.