Correctional Deputies are employed statewide at California’s jails. In conjunction with the Riverside County Sheriff’s Department, MVC offers a Basic Correctional Deputy Academy, which prepares graduates for immediate employment. In addition, advanced classes in jail operations, training officer instruction, inmate control, and supervisor training are offered each semester. The academy covers 364 hours of instruction and is certified by the California Board of Corrections and Standards and Training for Correction.
- 82nd Academy
- Class #82 Starts on 4/30/18.
- Packets must be submitted by 4/20/18.
Academy dates are subject to change.
Any agencies seeking to enroll recruits need to contact Correctional Corporal Ricky Valentine at (951)-486-2798 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Agency Sponsored recruits do not need to complete the requirements listed below.
(SELF-SPONSORED RECRUITS ONLY)
Correctional Deputy Academy Requirements
Required Steps for applying to Basic Law Enforcement Academies
At this point your contact is:
|Kristy Paine||Moreno Valley College – Ben Clark Training Center|
1. Before proceeding with ANYTHING, Please read the California Commission on Peace Officer Standards and Training (POST) minimum standards.
Print out this document. Read each requirement carefully and place your initials to the left of the number. By placing your initials here, you are indicating that you meet the requirement. After you have met all the requirements here, sign your name and print it legibly below the signature. Date the document. You will need to attach this to the package you submit.
Please visit the POST website to view additional information about Peace officer selection process.
Financial Aid applicants are required to declare an academic program of study and educational goal consistent with your SEP (Student Educational Plan)
|Educational goal: Advance in current job/career (update job skills)
|College: Moreno Valley College
|Major: COA- Administration of Justice-law enforcement|
|Request for consent to release information: I DO NOT CONSENT|
- At the end of the application process you will get a confirmation page- print this out!!!! You will need this.
Contact Financial Aid if you desire, make sure you have filed your FAFSA first. Your FAFSA must be filed for the correct academic year in which your class takes place.
Contact Financial Aid
Contact Veterans Services, if applicable.
3. Student must show comprehension of basic level reading and writing.
- Option 1– Take college accuplacer (Assessment) testing and place into a minimum of ENG-50(Basic English Composition) and REA-82 (Reading Level II) or show proof of having taken Accuplacer at another institution with placement in MVC college catalog equivalent course or above. Students can schedule the test by:
- Email: email@example.com or
- Phone: 951-571-6369
- Option 2-Provide proof of successfully completing ENG-50 (Basic English Composition) and REA-82 (Reading Level II) at Moreno Valley College, Riverside City College or Norco College or the equivalent of those classes at a different college.
- Option 3- Provide proof of college degree (Associate’s or higher) from an accredited institution.
- Option 4- Provide proof of having taken the POST Entry Level Law Enforcement Test Battery (PELLETB) with T-score of 40 or above. The score must be within the preceding 12 months of the class start date. Please submit the T-score letter the agency sent you.
4. THIS STEP REQUIRES THE STUDENT TO OBTAIN/COMPLETE THE FOLLOWING ITEMS. (ALL ITEMS MUST BE COMPLETE BEFORE TURNING IN ANY PAPERWORK).
Be sure to save as you go, so you don’t lose any of your work. This is an extensive document. I suggest you print it out, pencil in the answers and when you have all info you need—go back through this process and open it…type your info in all at once.
When you are done, print out 2 copies -just a suggestion that you keep one for your own records or you can also save the document for your records.
B. DOJ Clearance Letter.
Complete the Live Scan Fingerprint application process and you will need to submit the DOJ firearms clearance letter that will be sent to you 1-2 weeks later. The letter must be dated within 6 months of the start date of the academy.
Locations for Live Scan in the area.
****Note: prices can be increased by DOJ at any time and the rolling fee for the agency can vary. Also, dates and time may change. Make sure to read the top of the page with other documents you must take with you. I would suggest, when you make the appt. you make sure what payment methods they accept: cash, check, credit card.
C. Medical Clearance.
Complete and submit a medical physical examination. You can visit your own physician or a local clinic. Current college students may visit the Health Services Office. Medical forms/documents.
Note: prices are subject to change and are approximated. When you make the appt. make sure of the cost and methods of payment.
D. DMV printout– Obtain a printout of your driving record. You can either print it from the DMV website or visit your local DMV office. Again, this printout must also be dated within the preceding 6 months of the start date of the academy.
E. Submit a photocopy of the following:
- Current Driver’s License
- Current Vehicle Registration
- Current Vehicle Insurance card
- Medical card (if you have one)
In regard to the vehicle registration and insurance, submit the documents for the vehicle(s) that you will be driving throughout the academy.
When you have everything you will put the documents in the following order:
- Attachment 1
- Accuplacer results—or proof of other option
- Personal History Statement
- DOJ Clearance Letter
- Medical Clearance
- DMV Print out
- Photocopies of all documents requested in section E (above)
You can then bring your completed package and drop it off in the drop box located in Modular building 14 at the Ben Clark Training Center. * Recent road closures require that you come to the academy from the Barton Rd. entrance only.
Your package will then be reviewed by the Sheriff’s Department.
Your contact now becomes: Correctional Sgt. Lemons at (951)486-2923.
5. Physical Agility Test.
You will be contacted by someone at the academy to schedule your Physical Fitness Assessment. This test consists of a 1.5 mile run, sit ups and pushups.
6. Selection/ Non- selection
A final decision will be made and you will receive a letter of selection or non-selection from Moreno Valley College. If you are accepted, the letter will provide the next steps in this process. Just because you turn in every document, does NOT mean that you will be selected to continue in the process or into the academy.
- Selection letter will inform you that you have been selected and provide the start date and ending date of your academy, and the date and time for the orientation. It is very important for you to attend this orientation.
- Non-selection letter will inform you that you were not selected for the current academy.
- All questions about non-selection will be directed to Correctional Sgt. Lemons at (951)486-2923.
7. Print your “College Application” confirmation page and bring it to the first day of class. You DO NOT enroll in the class; our admissions staff will enroll you the first day.