Begin your career as an interpreter
Ever wish you could use your language skills to make a living? You can in just 12 months!
The Community Interpretation program provides students with a foundation in the skills of Spanish-English translation and interpretation. Students train intensively in the three modes of interpreting: simultaneous, consecutive, and sight translation. Instruction covers general and literary translation and skills are applied in the contexts of medicine, law, and business. The program prepares individuals seeking interpreter certification and improves marketability for bilinguals who use Spanish and English in the workplace.
WHAT WILL I BE ABLE TO DO ONCE I COMPLETE THIS PROGRAM?
- Translate messages simultaneously or consecutively into specified languages maintaining message content, context, and style as much as possible
- Listen to speakers’ statements to determine meaning and to prepare translations
- Compile terminology and information to be used in translations, including technical terms
- Identify and resolve conflicts related to the meanings of words, concepts, practices or behaviors
- Check translations of technical terms and terminology to ensure that they are accurate and remain consistent throughout translation revisions
- Follow ethical codes protecting the confidentiality of information
|Community Interpretation Requirements (18 Units)|
|CMI-61||Intro to Spanish English Translation||3|
|CMI-71||Bilingual Interpretation for the Medical Professions||6|
|CMI-81||Bilingual Interpretation for the Legal Professions||6|
|CMI-91||Intro to Translation and Interpretation for Business||3|
WHAT WORK EXPERIENCE OPTIONS DO I HAVE?
This course (CMI 200) is designed to coordinate the student’s occupational on- the-job training with related classroom instruction. Students enrolled in this occupational work experience course must be employed in a field related to the work experience subject area. Students should have paid or voluntary employment prior to enrolling in this course.
|George Gage||(951) email@example.com|